Time Limit for Master’s Degree

Total Time Allowed

Students have six semesters plus a summer to complete requirements for the Master’s degree.

Extension Requests for Master’s Degree Students

Students remain in good standing if they have completed the MS degree by the end of the summer after their 3rd year in the program. Students who have not completed the MS degree on schedule may request extensions using this form provided by the department.

Leave of Absence

Requests to take a leave of absence or to go on part-time status should be made to the Academic Standing Committee with a supplemental letter of justification directly provided from the student’s major advisor or the director of graduate studies. A leave of absence form is available here.

An additional petition to stop the five-year funding clock may be made to ASC at the same time with justification provided from the major advisor or DGS. An approved leave of absence or part-time status for only one semester or year will generally be deemed to merit a stopped clock, but a formal request to the ASC for approval must be made. The default is that the funding clock will continue to run. For approval of leaves or reduced effort for more than one year, the petition should advance strong justifications, and in most cases a stopped clock for two years or a leave/reduced effort for more than two years will not be approved.